Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book Reading #11 - Design of Everyday Things

Chapter 4
Summary
In this chapter the author talks about constraints and affordances that should be taken into consideration when designing objects. Among the constraints, the author talks about physical, semantic, cultural, and logical constraints. After discussing these concepts, the author describes current problems with door and switches as well as feedback and visibility principles that can improve the design of everyday things.

Discussion
I really enjoy the discussion about switches as it represents a problem I never thought about. However, while I appreciated the concern about doors and the things that they communicate to the users, I often find that his criticisms are exaggerated. This might be a product of the fact that more often than not I can manager to operate a door.

No comments:

Post a Comment